Print Friendly View
CARRá (Huberodendron patinoi)
Huberodendron patinoi Cuatrec.
Carrá (Ecuador); Coco Volador (Colombia); Naguare (Colombia); Carrá (Colombia)
Description Of The Tree
The trees are reported to reach heights of 40 m, with trunk diameters ranging from 80 to 100 cm. They develop boles that are up to 20 m long in the average, with very long buttresses, up to 15 m tall.
Huberodendron patinoi occurs in forest types of varying humidity.
The species has been found in Panama. Otherwise populations are confined to Choco, Cordoba, Valle del Cauca and other parts of Colombia and also Ecuador.
Anatomic Description Of Wood
Tangential diameter of vessel lumina 200 micras or more (large). Vessels per mm2 less than 6 (rare). Multiple perforation plates. Axial parenchyma in marginal or in seemingly marginal bands. Apotracheal axial parenchyma diffuse and/or diffuse in aggregates. Paratracheal axial parenchyma scanty and/or vasicentric. Axial parenchyma in continuous tangential lines (included in reticulate a Occasionally rays storied. Rays storied.
It has no characteristic odor or taste.
The sapwood is pale yellow, the heartwood is light reddish brown color.
Straight or irregular grain is common in this species.
A coarse texture is reported in this species.
The wood surfaces tend to be low to moderately lustrous
Natural durability index (1= Very high durability, 7=Vey low durability)
Basic Density or Specific Gravity (O.D. weight/vol. green) (g/cm³)
Air-dry Density (Weight and volume at 12%MC) (g/cm³)
Total shrinkage Tangential (Saturated to 0%MC) (%)
Total shrinkage Radial (Saturated to 0%MC) (%)
Recommended Dry Kiln Schedule
Dimensional stability ratio (Total Tangential Shrinkage %/Total Radial Shrinkage %)
Bending Strength (MOR),12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Stiffness (MOE) 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Compression parallel to fiber 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Compression perpendicular to fiber 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Shear strength radial 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Janka hardness (side) 12%MC (kgf)
Janka hardness (end grain) 12%MC (kgf)
End Uses Summary
HOUSING GENERAL, beams, joists, boards, fittings, PLYWOOD AND VENEER, TURNING, TOOLS, agricultural tools, PACKING, OTHER AND MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, handicrafts
- 11 - Prospect: The wood database
- 12 - Tropical timbers of the world. Part I-Tropical American Species
- 13 - Dry kiln schedules for commercial woods. Temperate and tropical. Section III. Latin American (Mexico, Central, and South America) Woods–Conventional Temperatures
- 25 - Directory of Timber Trade Malaysia
- 30 - Embassy of Honduras in Japan
- 42 - Utilización Industrial de Nuevas Especies Forestales en el Perú.
- 44 - Atlas of Peruvian Woods
- 45 - Recopilación y Análisis de Estudios Tecnológicos de Maderas Peruanas
- 66 - Maderas latinoamericanas. VII. Caracteristicas anatomicas. propiedades fisicomecanicas, de secado, y tratabilidad de la madera juvenil de Cordia alliodora (Ruiz & Pav. Oken.)
Please Provide Information To View Producer Information