Print Friendly View
GUáCIMO (Luehea spp)
Uvatinga (Brazil); Ubatinga (Brazil); Mutamba Preta (Brazil); Pau De Canga (Brazil); Caiboti (Brazil); Ivatingui (Brazil); Ibatingui (Brazil); Açoita Cavalo (Brazil); Guácimo (Venezuela); Guácimo Morenillo; Guácimo Macho; Guácimo Blanco; Guácimo Cimarrón; Guácima Amarilla
Description Of The Tree
Sometimes a tree of large dimensions, often 20 to 30 m up to 40 in height, with fluted trunks of 50 to 60 cm up to even 150 cm (L. seemannii) in diameter.
Luehea trees are widely distributed in tropical America
Anatomic Description Of Wood
Occasionally vessels per mm2 more than 20. Occasionally tangential diameter of vessel lumina 100 micras or less. Apotracheal axial parenchyma diffuse and/or diffuse in aggregates. Axial parenchyma in marginal or in seemingly marginal bands. Rays storied.
The sapwood and heartwood are not differentiated. The timber is yellowish or pinkish light beige or slightly grayish. Occasionally pink brownish.
The grain is usually straight.
The texture of the wood is medium.
Luehea has low resistance against decay and wood insects attack.
Natural durability index (1= Very high durability, 7=Vey low durability)
Basic Density or Specific Gravity (O.D. weight/vol. green) (g/cm³)
Air-dry Density (Weight and volume at 12%MC) (g/cm³)
Total shrinkage Tangential (Saturated to 0%MC) (%)
Total shrinkage Radial (Saturated to 0%MC) (%)
Ease of Drying: Drying is rapid. Drying Defects: Checking is reported.
Dimensional stability ratio (Total Tangential Shrinkage %/Total Radial Shrinkage %)
Bending Strength (MOR),12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Stiffness (MOE) 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Compression parallel to fiber 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Shear strength radial 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Janka hardness (side) 12%MC (kgf)
Janka hardness (end grain) 12%MC (kgf)
Wood of this species is easy to cut.
Planing is reported to be easy.
End Uses Summary
HOUSING GENERAL, FURNITURE AND CABINETS, PLYWOOD AND VENEER, common veneer, TURNING, PACKING, OTHER AND MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, handicrafts, pencil, matches
- 21 - Tropical timbers of the world. Part III-Southeast Asian and Oceanian Species.
- 25 - Directory of Timber Trade Malaysia
- 29 - Embassy of Ecuador in Japan
- 30 - Embassy of Honduras in Japan
- 45 - Recopilación y Análisis de Estudios Tecnológicos de Maderas Peruanas
- 66 - Maderas latinoamericanas. VII. Caracteristicas anatomicas. propiedades fisicomecanicas, de secado, y tratabilidad de la madera juvenil de Cordia alliodora (Ruiz & Pav. Oken.)
- 67 - Maderas latinoamericanas. VIII, Calophyllum brasilense, Couratari panamensis, Dendropanax arboreum y Bombacopsis sessilis
- 71 - Proprietes physiques et mecaniques des bois tropicaux, premier supplement
Please Provide Information To View Producer Information