Print Friendly View
JITICHURIQUI (Aspidosperma pyrifolium)
Aspidosperma pyrifolium Mart.
Scientific Name Synonyms
Macaglia pyrifolia (Mart.) Kuntze
Description Of The Tree
The size of the mature tree is reported to be small to medium, attaining heights of 18 to 25 m, and trunk diameters of about 90 cm. The boles are straight and cylindrical, free of branches for about half of the total height of the tree. Aspidosperma speci
Aspidosperma pyrifolium is found in the subtropical dry and humid forests of Bolivia.
It grows in Bolivia in Santa Cruz, in the Beni and Chuquisaca areas.
Anatomic Description Of Wood
Vessels per mm2 more than 20 (very abundant). Wood diffuse porous. Vessels exclusively solitary (over 90%). Tangential diameter of vessel lumina 100 micras or less (very small). Apotracheal axial parenchyma diffuse and/or diffuse in aggregates. Axial parenchyma in marginal or in seemingly marginal bands. Rays more than 10 per mm (abundant). Rays exclusively uniseriate.
The sapwood is differentiated, it is light brown, the heartwood is reddish brown.
This timber usually has straight or interlocked grain.
This wood has a somewhat fine texture.
It is reported to be high in luster.
It is reported to be durable if it is not in contact with the ground.
Natural durability index (1= Very high durability, 7=Vey low durability)
Resistance To Impregnation
It is moderately permeable.
Basic Density or Specific Gravity (O.D. weight/vol. green) (g/cm³)
Air-dry Density (Weight and volume at 12%MC) (g/cm³)
Total shrinkage Tangential (Saturated to 0%MC) (%)
Total shrinkage Radial (Saturated to 0%MC) (%)
Dimensional stability ratio (Total Tangential Shrinkage %/Total Radial Shrinkage %)
Bending Strength (MOR),12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Compression parallel to fiber 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Janka hardness (side) 12%MC (kgf)
Cutting behavior is reported to be fair to difficult.
This wood is difficult to process when dry.
End Uses Summary
EXTERIOR GENERAL, poles, stakes posts, HOUSING GENERAL, flooring, steps, PLYWOOD AND VENEER, Decorative veneer, TURNING, TOOLS, tool handles, CONTAINERS, truck bodies, truck flooring
- 1 - Tabela de resultados de ensaios fisicos e mecanicos
- 3 - Estudo dendrologico e determinacao das caracteristicas fisicas e mecanicas do genipapo (Genipa americana)
- 5 - Propriedades fisicas e mecanicas da madeira e do contraplacado de Pinus elliottii
- 14 - Handbook of Hardwoods
- 17 - Tree Conservation Database
- 25 - Directory of Timber Trade Malaysia
- 28 - Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries & Forest of Fiji
- 30 - Embassy of Honduras in Japan
- 42 - Utilización Industrial de Nuevas Especies Forestales en el Perú.
- 43 - Maderas de Bolivia (Características y Usos de 55 Maderas Tropicales)
- 53 - Timbers of the New World
- 54 - Bulletin of the Government Forest Experiment Station N.157: Identification of Tropical Woods
Please Provide Information To View Producer Information