Print Friendly View
MAçARANDUBA (Manilkara amazonica)
Manilkara amazonica (Huber) A. Chev.
Maçaranduba-Verdadeira (Brazil); Paraju (Brazil); Maparajuba (Brazil); Maçaranduba (Brazil)
Scientific Name Synonyms
Mimusops amazonica Huber; Manilkara surinamensis (Miq.) Dubard; Manilkara bidentata subsp. surinamensis (Miq.) T.D
Description Of The Tree
The tree is usually large, attaining heights of 25 m and a diameter at breast height of 90 cm. The trunk is usually swollen at the base, with straight and cylindrical boles, clear up to 18 m. It presents abundant white latex.
The natural distribution of the Manilkara genus is Tropical South America.
Anatomic Description Of Wood
Tyloses common. Vessels per mm2 more than 20 (very abundant). Vessel-ray pits larger than the intervessel pits. Axial parenchyma in continuous tangential lines (included in reticulate and scalariform). Rays more than 10 per mm (abundant).
Wood Macro Photo Tangential Plane
Wood Micro Photo Of Transversal Section
It has no characteristic odor or taste.
Heartwood and sapwood are distinct. The heartwood is light red when freshly cut, turning into to dark red or dark reddish brown after drying. The sapwood is pink to pale brown in color.
COLOR INDEX (1=Black, 7=Light yellow,white)
It has straight grain.
This wood has a somewhat fine texture.
It is very resistant to fungi, but it is sensible to termites attack.
Natural durability index (1= Very high durability, 7=Vey low durability)
Resistance To Impregnation
This timber is reported to respond poorly to preservative treatment.
Basic Density or Specific Gravity (O.D. weight/vol. green) (g/cm³)
Air-dry Density (Weight and volume at 12%MC) (g/cm³)
Total shrinkage Tangential (Saturated to 0%MC) (%)
Total shrinkage Radial (Saturated to 0%MC) (%)
Ease of Drying: Air seasoning is reported to be good when slow drying rates are used. Drying Defects: This species is reported to be prone to collapse.
Recommended Dry Kiln Schedule
Dimensional stability ratio (Total Tangential Shrinkage %/Total Radial Shrinkage %)
Bending Strength (MOR),12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Stiffness (MOE) 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Compression parallel to fiber 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Compression perpendicular to fiber 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Shear strength radial 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Janka hardness (side) 12%MC (kgf)
Janka hardness (end grain) 12%MC (kgf)
Rotary Veneer Cutting
This species can be used for lamination.
This species can be used for lamination.
The presence of resin may dull the cutting tools.
Boring of this species is reported to be easy.
It requires pre-boring.
End Uses Summary
EXTERIOR GENERAL, piers, HOUSING GENERAL, boards, flooring, TURNING, SPORTS, bowling polo balls, CONTAINERS, truck bodies, truck flooring, NAVAL CONSTRUCTION, port pillar, port storage, OTHER AND MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, violin, handicrafts, axle, yoke, shingle
- 1 - Tabela de resultados de ensaios fisicos e mecanicos
- 9 - Maderas latinoamericanas. IV, Nectandra sp. Ocotea austinii, Persea sp. aff. vesticula, Persea schiedeana
- 13 - Dry kiln schedules for commercial woods. Temperate and tropical. Section III. Latin American (Mexico, Central, and South America) Woods–Conventional Temperatures
- 14 - Handbook of Hardwoods
- 30 - Embassy of Honduras in Japan
- 38 - Annual Review and Assessment of the World Timber Situation 1998-ITTO
- 53 - Timbers of the New World
- 54 - Bulletin of the Government Forest Experiment Station N.157: Identification of Tropical Woods
- 55 - Tropical Timber Atlas of Latin America
- 61 - Manual de Diseño para Maderas del Grupo Andino
- 62 - Estudio Tecnológico de Maderas del Perú (Zona Pucallpa) Vol I
Other & Musical Instruments
- 63 - Madeiras do Brazil II
- 64 - Maderas latinoamericanas. V. Carapa sp., Virola koschnyi, Terminalia lucida y Brosimum costaricanum.
- 66 - Maderas latinoamericanas. VII. Caracteristicas anatomicas. propiedades fisicomecanicas, de secado, y tratabilidad de la madera juvenil de Cordia alliodora (Ruiz & Pav. Oken.)
- 73 - Handbook of Hardwoods
- 74 - World Timbers, Vol.2, North and South America
- 77 - Amazonian Timbers, Characteristics and Utilization Volume I; Tapajós National Forest
Please Provide Information To View Producer Information