Print Friendly View
TAUARI (Couratari stellata)
Couratari stellata A.C. Sm.
Tauari (Brazil); Mahot; Estopeiro (Brazil); Tauari Morrão (Brazil); Tauari Amarelo (Brazil); Imbirema (Brazil)
Scientific Name Synonyms
Couratari reticulata A.C. Sm.
Description Of The Tree
The commercial lengths are reported to vary from 7 to 18 m, with diameters from 45 to 70 cm. The logs are reported to be straight and cylindrical.
The Couratari genus is reported to be widely distributed all over tropical South America.
Anatomic Description Of Wood
Wood diffuse porous. Vessels solitary and in short radial multiples. Occasionally tangential diameter of vessel lumina 200 micras or more. Tyloses common. Vessels per mm2 less than 6 (rare). Simple perforation plates. Vessel-ray pits similar to intervessel pits Axial parenchyma in continuous tangential lines (included in reticulate and scalariform). 5 to 8 cells per parenchyma strand. Axial parenchyma in narrow bands on lines up to 3 cells wide. Axial parenchyma bands over 4 per mm. 4 to 10 rays per mm (medium). Rays 1 to 4 seriate. Silica bodies in the ray cells. Homogeneous rays and/or sub-homogeneous rays (all ray cells procumbent). Fibers with simple to minutely bordered pits.
Wood Macro Photo Tangential Plane
Wood Micro Photo Of Transversal Section
There is no difference between sapwood and heartwood. The timber is light yellowish brown in color.
COLOR INDEX (1=Black, 7=Light yellow,white)
This species is reported to have straight grain.
The wood is mostly medium in texture.
The wood surface is described as low in luster.
Natural durability index (1= Very high durability, 7=Vey low durability)
Resistance To Impregnation
C. stellata is reported to be moderately permeable, with good penetration and retention of preservatives.
Basic Density or Specific Gravity (O.D. weight/vol. green) (g/cm³)
Air-dry Density (Weight and volume at 12%MC) (g/cm³)
Total shrinkage Tangential (Saturated to 0%MC) (%)
Total shrinkage Radial (Saturated to 0%MC) (%)
Ease of Drying: Air seasoning is reported to be rapid. Drying Defects: Slight checking and warping. Kiln Schedules: Slow drying is recommended.
Dimensional stability ratio (Total Tangential Shrinkage %/Total Radial Shrinkage %)
Bending Strength (MOR),12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Stiffness (MOE) 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Compression parallel to fiber 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Compression perpendicular to fiber 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Shear strength radial 12%MC (kgf/cm²)
Janka hardness (side) 12%MC (kgf)
Janka hardness (end grain) 12%MC (kgf)
Sawing operations are rated as fair to difficult.
Planing operations are rated as fair, but it yields smooth surfaces.
End Uses Summary
HOUSING GENERAL, FURNITURE AND CABINETS, PLYWOOD AND VENEER, Decorative veneer, TURNING, cutlery, BENDING, SPORTS, table tennis, TOOLS, tool handles, PACKING, NAVAL CONSTRUCTION, OTHER AND MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, handicrafts
- 21 - Tropical timbers of the world. Part III-Southeast Asian and Oceanian Species.
- 25 - Directory of Timber Trade Malaysia
- 28 - Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries & Forest of Fiji
- 30 - Embassy of Honduras in Japan
- 33 - Embassy of Gabon in Japan
- 35 - Embassy of Myanmar in Japan
- 38 - Annual Review and Assessment of the World Timber Situation 1998-ITTO
- 41 - Embassy of the Philippines
- 42 - Utilización Industrial de Nuevas Especies Forestales en el Perú.
- 43 - Maderas de Bolivia (Características y Usos de 55 Maderas Tropicales)
- 45 - Recopilación y Análisis de Estudios Tecnológicos de Maderas Peruanas
- 55 - Tropical Timber Atlas of Latin America
Other & Musical Instruments
- 63 - Madeiras do Brazil II
- 66 - Maderas latinoamericanas. VII. Caracteristicas anatomicas. propiedades fisicomecanicas, de secado, y tratabilidad de la madera juvenil de Cordia alliodora (Ruiz & Pav. Oken.)
Please Provide Information To View Producer Information